Every situation is different and our reactions are unique to us – we all need different types of support. Below are a range of organisations who you may find helpful – please be aware that policies will differ from one organisation to another.
- Cruse Bereavement Care provides advice, information, and other support services to bereaved adults and children including people bereaved by suicide. Services are available by telephone, email and face-to-face. A group support service for people bereaved by suicide is delivered in partnership with the Samaritans. Cruse has a dedicated website for young people – RD4U .
- Winstons Wish provide support to young people and their families after a bereavement. They have specialist information about supporting children through suicide bereavement.
- The Compassionate Friends are dedicated to the support and care of other bereaved parents, siblings, and grandparents who have suffered the death of a child/children.
- Child Bereavement UK support families and educates professionals when a baby or child dies or is dying or when a child is facing bereavement.
- Child Bereavement Network is the hub for those working with bereaved children, young people and their families across the UK. They provide directories of support services available.
- WAY (Widowed and Young) is a self-help group that offers emotional and practical support to young widowed men and women as they adjust to life after the death of their partner.
- Grief Encounter offers a flexible and accessible bereavement service which aims to professionally care and respond to the needs of each service user. They provide a range of support for families and children.
- Bereavement Advice Centre supports and advises people on what they need to do after a death
- Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol & Drugs Have you lost a loved one due to a drug-related death? If you are impacted by a drug-related death call us today to receive, guidance & information, counselling sessions, telephone support and peer support. Free confidential Helpline Tel:08080 10 10 11. Email email@example.com
- Suicide Bereaved Network is a new organisation which provides facilitated self-help support groups for people bereaved by suicide. We currently run support groups in and around London. https://www.facebook.com/suicidebereavednetwork/
- Leeds Suicide Bereavement Service. Please contact for Support Groups 0113 3055803 , Individual Support 0113 260 9328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richmond’s Hope supporting Children from the age of 4 to 18 who have suffered a bereavement. Referrals can be made by contacting 0141 230 6123. email email@example.com
- FABS Families Affected By Suicide, Self help support group contact for more details 01159 111 662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org self help UK
- WHY (supports bereaved people in India) We Hear You is a self-help support group that aims to provide a safe, confidential environment in which those bereaved by suicide loss can share their experiences and feelings, to give and gain support from each other. There are hundreds of thousands of people in India who have been deeply affected by suicide. The emotional impact, and impact to quality of life are long lasting and wide reaching. We offer unique and distinct support by the bereaved for the bereaved. Our support groups are based on the principle of self help and sharing (we do not provide counselling). Our group currently meets once a month in Mumbai.
Suicide prevention and mental health
- Samaritans offer a range of listening support services. You can talk to them any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.
- Papyrus are the national UK charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. They offer a range of support services.
- CALM – the campaign against living miserably – exists to prevent male suicide in the UK. They offer a range of support services. They use young men’s peers, their voices and interests to reach them.
- If U Care Share are a charity promoting emotional well being in young people & supporting families affected by suicide
- hubofhope.co.uk chasing the Stigma (CTS) has launched the Hub of Hope – a national mental health database, bringing help and support together in one place
- Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
- Sane work to improve quality of life for anyone affected by mental illness, they offer a range of support.
- SAMH – Scotlands leading mental health charity, they provide help, information and support and campaign on behalf of people with mental health problems
- Breathing Space provide a free, confidential phone and web based service for people in Scotland experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety. They are there in times of difficulty to provide a safe and supportive space by listening, offering advice and information
- Maytree provide support to people in suicidal crisis in a non-medical setting.
- London Friend support the health and mental well-being of the LGB&T community in and around London.
- Matthew Elvidge Trust work to tackle the issue of depression in young people
- Students Against Depression offers information and resources validated by health professionals alongside tips and advice from students who have experienced it all themselves.
- Rethink provide a range of mental health services nationally, including advocacy, carer support, crisis services and more.
- bcsplymouth.co.uk Bereavement Counselling Service Plymouth, traumatic loss and complex grief specialist bereavement counsellors. bcs plymouth
- Chris’s House (provide respite for those in need) a Scottish Charity set up to provide support and assistance to individuals experiencing thoughts of suicide for more information please click the following link for a leaflet. Chris’s House
- Inquest is a charity providing free advice to bereaved people facing an inquest, with a focus on deaths in custody.
- Coroners’ Courts Support Service is a registered charity whose volunteers give emotional and practical support to families and other witnesses attending Inquests at many courts across the country. Please see following link Coroners’ Courts Support Service Helpline Coroners’ Courts Support Service Info
- Funeral costs help is a ‘not for profit’ website that provides information to help you understand funeral costs
- Citizens Advice help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers
- Childline is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything – no problem is too big or too small.
- The Silver Line offer a free, 24 hour, confidential helpline for older people
- London Lesbian Gay Switchboard – Providing free & confidential support & information to lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgendered communities throughout the UK
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) – provide the first psychological therapists’ register to be accredited under a new scheme set up by the Department of Health and administered by an independent body, accountable to Parliament.
- NHS UK provide information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
- Grandparents Association are a national charity which supports all grandparents and their families
- Hypnotherapy directory provides information about hypnotherapy and contacts for therapists
- Farm Community Network offer support and advice about family, business, health and farm issues, by people who understand farming and rural life.
- SAMM support families bereaved by murder and manslaughter.
Other Suicide Bereavement Support Groups
Wirral Connect Knowsley Support group 07518 131 513
Wirral Group 07518 131 513
Birmingham Support group 07890 603 198
Oxford Support group 07562 379 229
Walsall Support group 01922 724 841
Taunton Support group 03003 305 463
Cornwall Support group 07592 410 637